Wednesday, January 31, 2007

we got haircuts chez bulander





and some of us cut our own.

when no one else was looking.

(this is bruce posting because bonny is still too traumatized.)

i honestly think it is possibly the best cut esme' has ever had. cute and edgy at the same time, and quite flattering. it really does work with her face...and bonny had bangs like these when we first met.

anyway, i don't think that i'll win the debate about this being anything but a temporary solution. Posted by Picasa

21 comments:

Ashleigh said...

Lance and I can't help but laugh in humor and sympathy. We miss your girls tons!

Lisa Lu said...

Oh my gosh...I am traumatized, and can't believe this happened...Olivia had scissors today and cut a whole in her sock and pants - I was pretty upset - but I think I would have cried if it had been her hair. I am so sorry. My cousin had a daughter who cut her friends two ponytails right off at the rubberband...I think around 3 or 4 years old...very traumatizing for both mothers. Scissors are not good! How do they find them? I am so very sorry, Bonny. Luckily it WILL grow back...although not soon enough. Good luck! It's a good thing your girls are so adorable - it will most likely bug you much more than them.

bonny with a Y said...

okay - let's just clear this up - I'm not traumatized.

I did, however, want esme' to go all the way and do a pixie cut - to which she protested that she was growing her hair long.

i do think it's cute.

it was just bad timing, with work and ara's birthday and all.

grannybabs said...

Why must all children, at some point in their lives, cut hair as if it was paper?

Bonny did it as a child too - not quite to the hairline, but she said, when I asked her why, "I didn't want to have bangs anymore!"

Somewhat intelligent reasoning!!

Min said...

We have had quite a few of these haircuts at our house. Aimee was the champ. I think she has finally grown out of that stage... although last year she decided she should cut her t-shirts (while at school) instead. Hopefully she can be trusted with scissors now!

hanner said...

I did the EXACT SAME THING when I was five. Did Esmé try to justify it? Because I told Mom, "Well, you said that my bangs needed a trim!"

Also, there was the part where I really cut them off so that I could throw them at my friend's sister because I was mad at her. Yeah, it didn't work out too well.

hanner said...

Also, I love that this is Esmé's "oops." face.

Phoebe said...

Bonny, It's great for you. I thought she wanted to grow her bangs out and you wanted to keep them. Looks like you won that debate!
And for the record, I have never cut my own hair.

{B}dreamy said...

I think it looks good! If anyone could pull this look off, it would be Esmé for sure!

RachelAA said...

It never fails!

Betsy said...

Aspen has never cut her own hair. But each of her brothers has done it for her. When Toby was 3 her cut off her pony tail (which was on top of her head). When Isaac was 2 he sat on her head and cut a bunch of chunks out of the back of her hair. I couldn't put her hair in two pigtails for more than a year.

Esme is very cute, so she pulls off the new do quite well!

traci said...

I sympathize as I am also still trying to use Anna's long hair to cover her short hair - she pulls the clips out after awhile.

It will grow back and paper scissors/safety scissors should come with a warning!!! (I know of quite a few haircuts with them now that we've expereinced our own.)

Eliza said...

Even though Bonny insists she wasn't traumatized, my fave line from the post was definitely "This is Bruce posting because Bonny is still too traumatized."

I never cut my own hair either. Too vain? Too timid? Probably both.

Seriously though...too funny.

Eliza said...

(too bad E won't go for the pixie, that would be pretty awesome.)

amy k said...

The pixie would be stylish.

We haven't had the scissors experience yet...knock on wood.

And I also agree with the others, Esme is way cute so it doesn't look to bad.

Rebecca said...

This is one reason having little boys could be considered easier I guess. My 3 year old cut his hair a few months ago, and we simply buzzed the rest off (after getting a few good shots of his bald spot of course).

Amy Girl said...

Oh, Bonny! I laughed and then cried a little for you. I live in fear of something like this happening. We have had little snips here and there all which we were able to live with without much heartache.

The more kids I have the easier things like this are to laugh off.

Karen said...

Not too much hair trama around here, considering the # of kids we have. I think most of our hair cutting has been careful cuts out of the length of their hair, not to the scalp. My little boys love to cut though, and one of them cut a big long gash in Sarah's sheet on her bed. Yep, that was nice.

Snow Crew said...

Garrett and I laughed out loud at both the picture and Bruce's witty reaction to this all. I think this is my favorite post ever. With this new found talent send Esme our way so Cannon can finally get his hair cut too! Make way for Esme Scissor Hands!

Alice said...

Haven't we all looked at our hair now and then and thought, what would it look like if I cut it all off. The temptation is there for all of us, the kids just act it out. Hair does grow back. Donna and the neighbor down the street did the same thing when they were about 4. The only problem was that it had taken Donna's friend 2 years to get ANY hair at all. That mom was traumatized. I agree with all, Esme is so cute, she would look good bald.

Eliza said...

Good point, Alice. Actually about a month ago I was having a horrible hair day and I very, very seriously considered just chopping it all off myself (then getting it shaped up professionally later).

Didn't happen...but it would have been fun. Maybe some day.